Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I saw a man asleep in the subway at 42nd street. He was passed out with his head leaning against an elevator shaft and his legs splayed out in front of him in the shape of a Y. His shirt was folded and his stomach was exposed. His shoes were off and resting beside his head. Two cops stood over him. They marched around him in semi circles and prodded at his sides with their long black sticks. One of the cops reached into the man’s pocket and pulled out his wallet. They fingered through his identification and wrote him a ticket. They shoved the violation in his pocket. My train pulled in and the cops were still circling, sweating, and poking the man on the ground. They lifted him up as the doors to the 3 train shut and pulled me forward. I’m glad my train arrived when it did. I don’t think I could have managed to watch anymore.

It was a long day, but I have nothing but blessings to count.

No comments: